Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Hot, hot, hot.

Well, first of all, I'm sure that many of you have heard about Adelaide's record heatwave. If you haven't, we're in the middle of record hot weather - day 9 of high 30's. This breaks the previous 8-day record set in 1934 and according to the forecast, we are in for the same temperatures until early next week. Apparently, March is supposed to have an average temperature of 26 degrees...we would enjoy some of that right now. We are getting used to the hot days, but it's the hot nights (with less than stellar AC in the house) that is tough. Too bad we couldn't refit our water cooler to run ice cold beer instead!!

Anyways, back to our adventures...we went to Belair National Park last weekend for a quick run outside before it got too hot. What a beautiful place. While the kids were playing on a big playground with a fort and underground tunnels, I was bird-watching. We looked up to see 3 kookaburras sitting in the tree, not the least bit concerned for my presence. I couldn't snap pictures fast enough. I then moved around the tree a little and to my amazement, saw 2 tawny frogmouths sitting on another branch. You probably haven't heard about them - they are nocturnal owl-like birds that look like branches when they sit in the tree. Needless to say, I did not manage to get a picture of these, but the park warden said that we were very lucky to have seen them as they are quite a rare site. We then walked around a small lake nearby. The bird life continued to amaze us - we could have watched for hours...if it wasn't so hot.

For any of you who are interested in birds, I have uploaded a bird photo album (pics that I have copied from other websites) onto the blog that chronicles the birds that we have seen to date in the wild. I'll keep this updated as we see more.

Till next time.

2 comments:

The Webber-Smiths said...

Cousin Cal would like to dictate a letter to Sophie & Elise:(parental editorial comments in brackets)
Please could we come up (sic) to your place in Australia? could I go walking with you? I saw Jazzy juice - she is happy at Granny & Grandads. When I am 7 & Ewan is 4, Granny will be 71, Sophie will be 11 and Elise will be 8 (?????). I wish you were here. love calumm (ahhhhhh-ahhhh-ahhh from Ewan)

grannygrandad said...

we love your blog.great bird page.
Had agreat time with Mand T at thetis Jazz loved the beach and forest and came home exhausted