Thursday, September 4, 2008

Part 3 - The Gold Coast

Well we finished up our trip with a busy few days on the Gold Coast at Surfer's Paradise. While the kids a great a time (although they wished we had spent the extra days on Castaway), it was a little busy, loud and overwhelming for us. We went to a couple of theme parks (Dug's first!!) and I don't need to go to another one for a very long time.

As I said, the girls had a great time at Seaworld, which had lots of aquariums, dolphins and other sea critters to sea. Sophie went on her first roller coaster - twice!! What a trooper. I was more scared watching from the ground than she was turning upside-down. The girls did convince me to go on a ride that was a giant pirate ship swinging like a pendulum. It looked quite tame from the ground - it wasn't. I sat next to Elise and after a couple of swings, I was terrified - screaming to be let off. She looked at me and realized that I was scared for real and started screaming herself. Poor little thing - I was holding her arm so tight during the 4 minutes of sheer terror that when I uncurled my grip after it was over, her little hand was blue. Lesson learned - mommy needs to keep her feet planted firmly on teh ground! The next day, we went to Dreamworld which was fun for a day, but by the time it was over, we were spent. The girls got to go on lots of rides and see the tigers at Tiger Island.

We would like to return to the Gold Coast and explore the beautiful sleepy seaside towns, cafes and beaches...and stay well away from theme parks!!

All in all though, it was a fantastic trip and one that we will hold dear for a lifetime.

No comments: